Another goal, as an artist myself, was to address some frustrations with how publishers (and e-publishers), use an artist's work. Most often, a publisher will use art to make themselves money, or notoriety. What's more, is artists usually have no idea who is reviewing their art, or how they are reviewing it. Is the person qualified to judge the art? Do they understand the technical elements, or do they just publish what they like? Artists don't have many options, however, so we send our work to publishers anyway, because more than anything, we want our art to be seen and to hear what people think about it. We want to know if our art has transferred its intended meaning to the viewer, listener, or reader! So, I created Heart & Mind Zine to be different than other publishers, below is a list of what makes us different:
- We accept any form of art which can be digitized! Singing, writing, playing, comedy, painting, etc, etc, etc, if you can create it and get it to us, we can host it.
- We accept it in any format! If you have a story, you can send it to us in text, read it to us via audio, act it out on camera, or emphasize it with pictures.
- We accept any style or genre! Play metal, country, classical, or jazz and it'll all be accepted and reviewed equally. We aren't trying to create an identity using your art, like other publishers, instead we simply help you share it.
- We do blind judging, with standardized rating! Our judges review submissions as they are, without taking age, prestige, race, gender, etc. into account; because all they get to see is the art they're reviewing. In fact, they don't know any of the artists' names, biographies, or other such information! What's more, is they review submissions using a standard form to decrease bias and prevent selections based on favoritism.
- You know who our judges are, and how we choose what we publish! Do you want to know who reviewed your painting? Simply check the "About Us" page. Want to know how they reviewed it, simply check the "Judging Process" page.
- We publish YOUR art, not our art! We publish in a way that promotes the art, AND its artist. We don't ask you to re-write endings, remove profanity, ask for specific types of imagery, or any other controlling requests. We don't try to make it fit our mold, if it's rated highly it gets published, period.
We are NOT a thematic publisher. We are NOT a rigid art society which forces artists to adapt to what we want. We are NOT driven by greed, trying to figure out how we can exploit your art to make us money.
We ARE Heart & Mind Zine, we publish art of all kinds, for the sake of the artists who produce it. We do this because we know that any good piece of art is crafted with a thoughtfulness and passion which is unique to its creator, and therefore can be uniquely appreciated and be inspired by those who view it.